The Article Cool Jobs like Mother Nature is about a scientist that created a way to make tape strong enough to hold a full grown man up. He studied different animals and how they grip walls. He studied a beetle a spider and a gecko. He tested to see which animal could withstand motion and stay on the plat form the longest. The beetle had the best results. The beetle has small hairs on the bottom of it and it clings to surfaces just like a raindrop clings to a window. What allows both to keep from falling off is the attraction between molecules; something called the Van der Waals force. This force is weak, though, so when a raindrop gets heavy enough, it loses its grip and slides down. Because beetle feet have hundreds of thousands of hairs each hair exerting the Van der Waals force they can stick to surfaces for as long as they want. That’s pretty cool I wonder what else could be made from studies of Mother Nature.
I wonder how they made the material to make it stick. If it’s made by that logic why hasn’t anyone created something to allow us to fly? If scientists could give people supper sticky tape from the study of bugs, why not the ability to fly? This shows great improvement in the human race on how we learn from Mother Nature. I think it’s amazing that scientist is able to create things based off of nature.
I wonder what else will come up in the future. I wonder what else scientist can take from the earth and animals. Will the supper tape ever be able to be in common households? I think that the super tape isn’t necessary in households but in industrial area yeah definitely.
No comments:
Post a Comment